Emma Barker, a previous access student secured a place at Staffordshire University studying BSc in Paramedic Science.
Emma has been at BLC throughout this time studying pre- access, access and English and maths this year, before deciding on her next step.
Despite knock backs, Emma’s perseverance managed to get her a place. She said: “I couldn’t have done it without the help and support of Jack Dendy, Cathy Hodgson and my college tutors at Buxton and Leek College.”
Emma is looking forward to starting uni this September and wanted to share her top tips with you.
- Apply as soon as the UCAS application comes in September
- Be aware of the course requirements
- In your personal statement, don’t be afraid to explain how you have returned to education to achieve your career goals
- Don’t be modest. Show that you CAN time manage! You juggle work, family commitments and college – they’ll be impressed.
- Make sure to include details of topics studied on access course that are relevant to the degree you’re applying for.
- In your personal statement, use your own experiences to show how you have the skills required.