What is a Traineeship?
A Traineeship will prepare you for your future career by helping you to become work ready and compete successfully for job vacancies or to go on to an Apprenticeship. Traineeships last from six weeks up to six months and are made up of three elements:
- Work preparation training – covering areas including CV writing, interview preparation, job-search and interpersonal skills
- A valuable work placement – with an employer to give meaningful work experience and develop workplace skills
- English and Maths support – if GCSE A* (9) – C (4) has not been achieved or a Level 2 Functional Skills qualification for those aged 19+
Traineeships are delivered in conjunction between the College and employers and are funded by the Government. They are flexible depending on the needs of both the Trainee and the employer. Unlike Apprenticeships, the work placement of a Traineeship is unpaid. However, Trainees will still be able to access existing programmes of financial support where they qualify. Traineeships have also been designed to meet the needs of young people who are claiming benefits – this means that Trainees can continue to receive Job Seekers Allowance during the programme.
Who Are Traineeships for?
Traineeships are designed for young students who are not currently in a job and have little work experience, but who are focused on securing work:
- 16 to 19 year olds who do not have a Level 3 qualification
- 19 to 24 year olds who have not yet achieved a Level 2 qualification
- The College and the employer must believe that Trainees have reasonable chance of being ready for employment or to move onto an Apprenticeship within six months of the start of the Traineeship
What will a Traineeship lead to?
Once you have completed a Traineeship, you can move on to an Apprenticeship, employment or further education or training. You will receive a reference from your Traineeship employer and a guaranteed interview, although this doesn’t guarantee you a job.
What if I completE my Traineeship before my English and/or Maths qualification?
You will still be able to continue with your English and/or Maths qualification with us if you have not completed or achieved the qualification before the end of the Traineeship. For 16 to 19 year olds this can be part of the subsequent study programme or Apprenticeship, or for those aged 19+ through the Level 2 Functional Skills entitlement.
Alternatively if you would like more information or have any questions about Traineeships, or if you would like to apply, please call our team on 0800 074 0099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.