Subject Areas Course Search

Financial Support


If you are facing financial hardship, please speak to our Student Money and Rights Adviser. They can offer advice on support that may be available to you as a student of Buxton and Leek College. This support may be limited to students studying certain subjects, living in certain areas, or of a specific age group. If you qualify in some way, you may be eligible for:

  • A bursary – which you wouldn’t have to pay back
  • A loan – which you would have to pay back
  • A charitable trust to purchase goods on your behalf

Bursary Funding Overview


During your time at Buxton and Leek College, there may things you have to pay for to fully engage with your course, this includes things like; childcare for the days you are timetabled to be on your course, travel to and from college, food and drinks if you’re on campus, and any additional costs for uniform, kit or equipment.

You may need to plan ahead and budget for these, or depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial support from one of the Bursaries we have available.

To help make it simple, we use a universal name for all our Bursaries which is ‘The Financial Support Fund’.

Funding support 2022/23

The information on this webpage is tailored for learners who enrolled on a programme with us in September 2021 /  January 2022.

If you are a learner looking to study a programme with us in September 2022/ January 2023, you can use the information found on these pages as an overview of the funding that may be available. If you will require financial support or you would like further information – fill in the request for an application form here.

Please be aware that the Financial Support Fund Team will be on annual leave from Monday 23 May until Monday 6 June 2022.

During this period we have put together some Frequently Asked Questions below to support any queries you may have:


Q: I have applied for Bursary this academic year and never heard anything back, can you update me on what is happening?

A: In the first instance, learners should check the notes section of their e-trackr account

We would then recommend learners check their Unimail account :  and navigate to email.

All updates from the team are sent here.

This will be the same login details as you (the learner) uses to access the College computers.

If you are unable to access- please report to your Campus library who will be able to support you.

If your application is missing evidence, it will not be processed until what is outstanding is received.

If you have sent this information to us, please re-forward your correspondence ensuring it is sent to E:

No evidence will be processed if you have not submitted a complete application form here:


Q: I still wish to apply for Bursary this academic year (2021/22), how can I do this?

The application for Bursary is a 3 step process as stated on the

The first step is to complete the funding checker which will triage whether you may be eligible based on an intial assessment and generate an evidence checklist for you.

Applications should not be submitted with no evidence to prove you meet the household income.

Step 2 is to supply evidence you meet the household income.

Step 3 is to complete an application form.

Bursary is allocated on a first come first serve basis to complete applications with the mandatory evidence provided.


Q:  I am a new/ prospective/ current student looking to study in September 2022/ January 2023. How do I apply for Bursary support?

Our application process will be open from Monday 1 August 2022.

Currently we are recommending learners register their interest to apply here:

Alternatively, check back on the BLC webpages nearer the time


Q: I am looking to study with you in September 2022 but don’t know if I will have to pay tuition fees?

Check the BLC webpages here for information regarding tuition fees


Q: I was expecting a payment on Friday 20 May 2022 or Friday 3 June 2022 but haven’t received it?

Finance are on shut down over May half term therefore no payments can be made due to the bank holiday weekend.

Anyone expecting a payment Friday 3 June 2022 will be paid on Friday 27 May 2022 instead.


If you did not receive a payment on Friday 20 May 2022 and had been advised you were due one please complete the missing payment form here:


Q: I am a childcare provider who has contacted you with an invoice between Monday 23 May and Friday 3 June 2022 – can you tell me when payment will be made?

All childcare providers have been contacted via email to submit outstanding invoices prior to Friday 20 May 2022. Any invoices received after this period will not be processed for payment until we return from annual leave.


Q: I have lost my meal card, what should I do?

At the Leek campus – report to The Hub

At the Buxton campus – report to the Student Centre

Will I have to Pay tuition Fees

If you are aged 18 or under on 31st August 2021, you do not have to pay tuition fees (subject to residency criteria).

If you are aged over 18 years of age on 31 August 2021, whether you have to pay or not depends on criteria such as age, eligibility for discounts and whether you live in the UK, European Union (EU) or overseas.

Click here to find out if fees apply to you.

Overview of the Funds

Download our handouts below which will tell you more about each of the individual funds we have available for our learners:

Application and evidence

To be eligible for financial support, you must submit a complete application form and provide evidence that you meet the household income threshold. Should you choose to submit an application without evidence, your application will not be processed until the mandatory evidence has been received.

Due to limited funds being available to us each year, we strongly advise not to do this as complete applications will be prioritised and monies will be allocated on a first come first serve basis.

Applications are also accepted from those facing hardship – you will need to contact the Student Money and Rights Adviser to discuss your individual circumstances who can then advise you how to proceed.

Our checklists and an example of the evidence that needs supplying can be found below – if you are unsure what evidence you need to supply, which fund you should be applying for or would like to know if you may be eligible prior to applying – you can complete our funding checker here.


Application Form

Financial Support Fund Application Form 2021/22


Evidence Checklists

School leavers/ 19 years olds on their second year of a two year study programme/ 19-25 years olds in receipt of an EHCP:

Adult Learners:

Examples of Evidence

How will your application be processed

Are you a student, parent, carer or even a member of staff and want to know how the Financial Support Fund works?

Download our policy below which will tells you all about the Funds and how we process them as a college.

Financial Support Fund Policy BLC

Support – Student Money and Rights Adviser

Should you require support with anything mentioned on these pages, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I offer drop ins and appointments for students across both campuses and work alongside the Learner Journey Team to help ensure funding is not a barrier to participation whilst studying with us.

Name: Eleanor Ives

T: 01298 330 817 (Helpline Mon- Fri 1pm-2pm)


Key updates regarding funding will be posted here.

financial support

Applications for support in 2021/22 will close on Friday 8 July 2022.

Vulnerable Bursary

No updates

16-19 Bursary/ Learner Support Fund/ A.L.L Bursary

No updates

Free College Meals

No updates



Childcare Funding

Do you have Children and want to study at College?

Do you have Children and want to study at College?

If you are under 20 years old and need assistance with the cost of childcare, you may be able to apply for funding through the Government’s Care to Learn Scheme.

For the points above, the following detail applies:

You will need to book an appointment with the Student Money and Rights adviser and have a copy of your childs birth certificate/ child benefit claim to hand.

You must be using an OFSTED registered provider which may be a Nursery, pre-school setting or childminder. ‌

If you need support looking for the right childcare for your son or daughter, we have a list of Registered Childcare Providers

Funding available for parents aged 20+?
If you are 20 years of age or older and need assistance with the cost of childcare you will need to apply for funding through the Financial Support Fund, see the information above.

You can apply before enrolment or during the academic year.

Important Information: The College can only pay a contribution towards the cost of childcare during the weeks and sessions when you are timetabled to be at College and during the College term-time. The College does not pay for Christmas, Easter or Summer Holidays. Costs incurred above the support granted are the responsibility of the parent to fund.

For the points above, the following detail applies:

You must be using an OFSTED registered provider which may be a Nursery, pre-school setting or childminder. ‌

If you need support looking for the right childcare for your son or daughter, we have a list of Registered Childcare Providers

*Please also note 2 – 4 year olds may be entitled to 15/30 hours of free nursery education – this entitlement must be used before making a claim for assistance with childcare

This funding can not be used in conjunction with the childcare funding provided by Universal Credit, further information regarding this can be found here.


External Childcare funding


If you are currently pregnant and need help towards the cost of your baby, you may be entitled to the Sure Start Maternity Grant, which is a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child.

You will usually qualify for the grant if both of the following apply:

  • you’re expecting your first child, or you’re expecting a multiple birth (such as twins) and have children already
  • you or your partner already get certain benefits


You may be able to claim back up to 85% of your childcare costs if you’re eligible for Universal Credit.

You (and your partner if you live with them) will usually need to either:

  • be working – it does not matter how many hours you or your partner work
  • have a job offer

The most you can get back each month is:

  • £646 for one child
  • £1108 for 2 or more children

You can claim Universal Credit online


You can get up to £500 every 3 months (£2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare.

If you’ve already registered, you can sign in to your childcare account.

If you get Tax-Free Childcare, the government will pay £2 for every £8 you pay your childcare provider. This is paid via an online childcare account that you set up for your child.

You can get Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as 30 hours free childcare if you’re eligible for both.

Your eligibility depends on:

  • if you are working
  • how much you earn
  • your child’s age and circumstances
  • your nationality


You may be able to get up to 30 hours free childcare (1,140 hours per year, which you can choose how you take) if your child is 2 or 3 – 4 years old.

If you’ve already registered, you can sign in to your childcare account.

The childcare:

  • must be with an approved childcare provider
  • stops when your child starts in reception class (or reaches compulsory school age, if later)

You may have to pay for extra costs like meals, nappies or trips.

Please contact our Student Money and Rights Adviser for further information  


If you meet certain criteria relating to your age and/or benefits you may already receive, you may not be charged your tuition fees if – this is known as fee remission.

Find out if you may be eligible by visiting the will I have to pay for my course webpages.


Buxton & Leek College is part of the University of Derby. Eligible students who choose to continue their studies by moving into higher education at the University of Derby will receive a £1,000.00 Financial Boost (£900 as a cash award plus a £100 study resource card for Blackwell’s Bookshop). For further information on the Buxton and Leek College Bursary and other Financial Support available to University of Derby students click here.



Advanced Learner Loans For those aged 19+ 

Other Funding

external Funding

Money Management


From time to time, we all experience problems with money.

You may have thoughts such as:

  • ‘I am finding it difficult to manage my money.’
  • ‘I am worrying about my current debt, or running up debt.’
  • ‘How do I keep better track of my financial comings and goings?’

Be reassured that you can take control of your money, with the first steps in doing so being to simply recognise it.

We can assist you by suggesting ways in which you can reduce your spend, make the most of your income, and work with you to take back control of your finances


Many full-time students are not entitled to claim benefits.

Students who are lone parents or are in receipt of disability benefits however, may be entitled to receive certain benefits as a full-time student.

Please contact Citizens Advice if you would like to discuss your entitlement. Citizens Advice Bureau offer appointments through Student Wellbeing at the Buxton campus throughout term time.

Other useful links – for general information about tax and benefits. – for information on benefits and what you may be entitled to. – for guidance on employment, debt, benefits and tax.