Commis Chef Apprentice
£9,609.60 to £18,964.40
You will be paid at least the minimum for your age. You will be provided with a uniform, 20% staff discount on food and drink and a fair share of tips in addition to wages.
4 days in work, 3 days off on a rota basis. Minimum 35 hours per week, your working hours to include off-the-job training such as attending college. Our opening hours are Tuesday to Sunday 12 noon, last food orders 8.30pm.
Total hours per week: 35 hours a week
2 positions available
What will the apprentice be doing?
These are example duties and not a full list, full training is provided and your duties will expand as your skills develop.
- Planning and preparation – chefs will be expected to plan the day ahead including summarising from previous days; what worked and what didn’t and adjusting accordingly. We have daily specials to put together based on dates of food and quantities to be used by to minimise waste.
- Section/Station running and assisting – each station will be manned by the chefs, and each will rotate to ensure we keep knowledge and skills current and to ensure confidence grows within the team. The stations include sweets, starters, grill and pass.
- Cleaning down – We pride ourselves on setting high standards of cleanliness. The kitchen does not finish until all areas have been cleaned, all food labeled, all waste disposed of, preparation for the following day is complete and paperwork is filled out as required.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Commis Chef level 2 Apprenticeship
You will attend college weekly at the Buxton Campus, college transport is available including a free shuttle bus from the Leek Campus.
You will also learn skills around health and safety laws, allergy awareness and food safety. In addition to college training, you will have lots of one-to-one training in the workplace from chefs and receive coaching and mentoring from the proprietor, Simon, who has a wealth of knowledge about running a successful business.
You will also be visited in the workplace by a college instructor-mentor who will discuss your progress and ensure you’re on track.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
We expect the apprentice will stay with us on a permanent basis.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Organisation skills
- Customer care skills
- Problem solving skills
- Administrative skills
- Team working
- An interest in the industry
- Ability to learn from peers
- A desire to learn
- GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4/C or above) desirable
- GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C or above) desirable
Things to consider
Please consider how you will get to work each day.
About the employer
My fiancé and I decided we wanted to open the pub/restaurant back in December 2022. Becky had previously managed in the industry for 2 years whilst I had spent several years as a leadership development coach and consultant. We both have a passion for people and great food, so concluded that opening a pub/restaurant would be the ideal fit to satisfy our needs and goals. We are keen on providing an environment that serves good food, good drink, and with good company. The menu that the chefs have produced reflects our flexibility and respect for all our customers. We are keen to serve traditional classics whilst providing our chefs the opportunity to use their creative skills when producing daily specials for all. We want to ensure that we understand our customers and can demonstrate our loyalty as we evolve, “We have listened to feedback and feel like we have a good understanding of what is important to customers.” Loyalty, integrity, and respect for others are values we both feel will underpin our success with both staff and customers. Our restaurant has a welcoming feel to it, as well as a few exciting new additions to the bar and restaurant areas, we still have our oak beams, stone walls, and a traditional oak floor really sets the tone for what we want to look like and how we want our customers to feel.
THE REFORM INN LIMITED
THORNCLIFFE, LEEK, ST13 7LP